Pat Mallinger was born and raised in St. Paul, Minnesota and began playing the saxophone at 11 years of age. He received his Jazz Studies degree from North Texas State University on a “One O’clock Lab Band” Scholarship.
He lived and performed in Los Angeles, Dallas, Boston, and Japan, before establishing Chicago as his home in 1990. He is a co-leader of Sabertooth, which has been the mainstay band at the Green Mill Lounge each Saturday night from 1992 to 2018.
Pat now leads the Saturday night band at the Green Mill as Pat Mallinger’s Late Night Jazz Party. He is also heard around Chicago performing with the Bobby Lewis Quintet, Model Citizens Big Band, and his own quartet to name a few.
Pat performs concerts and festivals nationally and internationally both as a bandleader and sideman. Since 2013 each month, Pat and his wife Tamara host sold-out jazz concerts in their home.
In addition to leading the Ravinia Jazz Mentor Program founded by Ramsey Lewis, Pat Mallinger offers private saxophone lessons either in his Chicago studio or online. Pat also offers workshops and masterclasses on improvisation and composition.
Pat is the Lead Mentor of the Ravinia Jazz Mentor Program founded by Ramsey Lewis, and has been with that program since its inception in 1994. Through that outreach program, he mentors select Ravinia Jazz Scholars in rehearsals and performances. Additionally, Ravinia Jazz Mentors give performances and clinics in Chicago Public High Schools.
Pat has performed with Joe Williams, Nancy Wilson, Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, Harry Connick, Ramsey Lewis, Aretha Franklin, Rosemary Clooney, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Kurt Elling, Diane Schuur, Kevin Mahogany, Patti Austin, Manhattan Transfer, Gerald Wilson, Muhal Richard Abrams, Lalo Schifrin, Cab Calloway, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Reunion Band, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Eddie Higgins, Junior Mance, Jodie Christian, Cedar Walton, Dave Brubeck, Marcus Roberts, Randy Weston, Weldon Irving, Henry Butler, Renee Rosness, Regina Carter, Jack McDuff, Joey DeFrancesco, Joe Lovano, Frank Foster, Branford Marsalis, Joshua Redman, David Sanchez, Eric Alexander, Victor Goines, Billy Harper, Jimmy Heath, Johnny Griffin, James Moody, Lee Konitz, Phil Woods, Paquito D’Rivera, Donald Harrison, Nick Brignola, Franz Jackson, Von Freeman, Roscoe Mitchell, Buddy Defranco, Red Hollaway, Ira Sullivan, Alvin Batiste, Slide Hampton, Curtis Fuller, Steve Turre, Wycliffe Gordon, Bill Watrous, Clark Terry, Randy Brecker, Tom Harrell, Doc Severinsen, Roy Hargrove, Nicholas Payton, Lester Bowie, Jon Faddis, Lou Soloff, Terell Stafford, Jim Rotondi, Etienne Charles, Marcus Belgrave, Stanton Moore, Butch Miles, Lonnie Brooks, Big Time Sarah, Melvin Seals, Alfonso Ponticelli, Vince Welnick, Umphrey’s McGee, and Dark Star Orchestra. Pat has toured with the Charles Earland Band, Artie Shaw Orchestra, and Woody Herman Orchestra.
Pat Mallinger Quartet & Bill Carrothers
Dragon Fish (2009)
Home on Richmond (2011)
Pat Mallinger Quartet (Feat. Bill Carrothers)
Monday Prayer to Tunkashila (1995)
Pat Mallinger Quartet
- Pat Mallinger Monday Prayer To Tunkashila PJM 1995
- Pat Mallinger Quartet Moorean Moon Blue Jack BJJR 030
- Pat Mallinger with Dan Trudell Dragon Fish CSS01V11
- Pat Mallinger Quartet featuring Bill Carrothers Home on Richmond PJM1001
- Pat Mallinger Quartet with Bill Carrothers Elevate PJM1002
- Sabertooth Live at the Green Mill 2000
- Sabertooth Dr. Midnight Delmark DE 579
- Sabertooth Sabertooth Plays Dead SLP100
- Chicago Jazz Ensemble Kenton a la Russo Hallway 970
- Chicago Jazz Ensemble – Conducted by William Russo Chase Music
- Bobby Lewis Here I Go Again
- Bobby Lewis Flugal Gourmet Southport S-SSP 0045
- Bobby Lewis Just Havin’ Some Fun S-SSD 0063
- Bobby Lewis Another Time S-SSD 0100
- Bobby Lewis Instant Groove Southport S-SSD 0121
- Bobby Lewis Warm Cool
- Bobby Lewis Mellifluous Tones
- Bobby Lewis Play On
- Bobby Lewis Count Me In
- Art Hoyle Art Of Persuasion
- Brian Ohern and the Model Citizens Big Band Party Party Party
- Brian Ohern and the Model Citizens Big Band Are You Ready For Some Big Band
- Brian Ohern and the Model Citizens Big Band Let’s Make Gravy 634479606182
- Brian Ohern and the Model Citizens Big Band We Are So Straight Ahead
- Joel Adams Chicago Yestet Jazz Is Politics? 800492195518
- B3 Bombers featuring Clyde Stubblefield Live at the Green Mill Alltribe ATR0724
- Dan Trudell Song of Happiness
- Luke and the Cool Hands with Brad Goode That Cowboy Jazz Sunlight Records
- Marshall Vente Marshall Law Middle Coast 03
- Willie Pickens Jazz Spirit Vol. 1 Southport SSD 0119
- Willie Pickens Jazz Spirit Vol. 2 Southport SSD 0120
- Johnie Faren and the all new orient jazz express That Drummin’ Man Vol. 2 JF2734
- Mark Sonsken Blue Visions 3685
- Bobbi Wilsyn It’s About Time
- Alison Margaret Come Sunday featuring Laurence Hobgood and Pat Mallinger
- Erin McDougald The Auburn Collection
- Anne Burnell Blues In The Night SR008
- Shelly MacArthur With Love
- Gaye Klopack Come Out And Play
- Mark Grobner Simple Gifts Deerpath Music DP0201
- Mark Grobner String Tides Deerpath Music, Darwin Records DPO 119
- Angel Melendez The 911 Mambo Orchestra LSM-AM01
- Holy Night A Jazz Celebration Of Christmas S-SSD 0104
- Stampy Stampy- Here I Am Treehouse Records